The Oyo State High Court sitting in Ibadan has ordered the remand of three persons accused by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, of involvement in separate alleged Canadian visa fraud schemes amounting to more than ₦30 million.
The defendants — Emmanuel Serah Motunrayo, Awotunde Olugbenga and Idowu Olugbemi Sunday — were arraigned in separate proceedings before Justice Olusola Adetujoye on charges bordering on obtaining money by false pretence, forgery and related offences.
Motunrayo and Olugbenga are accused of fraudulently obtaining a total of ₦23,404,600 from Oluwatobi Adeoluwa Iyanda and Oyewale Tunji Bello after allegedly representing that they could procure Canadian visas and facilitate travel arrangements for them.
The EFCC alleged that the defendants presented themselves as persons capable of securing valid Canadian visas and other travel documentation but failed to deliver after collecting various sums of money.
One of the counts alleged that on or about March 1, 2025, in Ibadan, the defendants obtained ₦527,000 from Iyanda by allegedly representing that they would secure a valid Canadian visa and flight ticket for him.
The prosecution said the representation was false and known by the defendants to be false.
The EFCC further accused Motunrayo and Olugbenga of producing a purported Canadian visa dated June 20, 2025, bearing Travel Document No. B011745448 in Iyanda’s name.
According to the charge, the document was allegedly made to appear as though it had been issued by the Government of Canada.
The alleged conduct formed part of the forgery charges brought against the defendants under the Criminal Code.
Motunrayo and Olugbenga pleaded not guilty when the charges were read to them.
Following their pleas, their counsel urged the court to admit them to bail pending the determination of the case.
Justice Adetujoye subsequently adjourned the matter until August 26, 2026, for hearing of their bail applications and ordered that they be remanded at the Agodi Correctional Centre in Ibadan.
In a separate proceeding before the same judge, the EFCC arraigned Idowu Olugbemi Sunday over an alleged ₦6.65 million Canadian visa transaction.
The Commission alleged that between June 2025 and January 2026, Sunday obtained the money from Okanlawon Tunji Ajao after representing that he could secure Canadian visas for Ajao and members of his family.
The prosecution alleged that the representation was false and that Sunday knew it to be false when the money was collected.
The alleged offence was charged under the Advance Fee Fraud and Other Fraud Related Offences Act.
Sunday also pleaded not guilty to the charges.
His counsel informed the court that an application for bail had been filed and urged the judge to release him on liberal terms pending trial.
Justice Adetujoye similarly adjourned Sunday’s case until August 26 for hearing of the bail application and ordered that he be remanded at the Agodi Correctional Centre.
Altogether, the sums involved in the two separate prosecutions amount to approximately ₦30.05 million.
The EFCC said the prosecutions followed investigations by its Ibadan Zonal Directorate into complaints concerning purported Canadian visa and travel arrangements.
The cases come amid increasing concern over immigration and visa-related fraud targeting Nigerians seeking opportunities abroad.
Canadian immigration authorities have repeatedly warned prospective travellers that no agent or representative can guarantee the approval of a Canadian visa and have advised applicants to verify representatives and immigration information through official channels.
The three defendants have denied the allegations and remain presumed innocent until their guilt is established by the court.

