Special Reports

Ex-Gov Goje denies defection to PDP, but remains exploring future path

Goje spoke on Sunday evening while addressing his supporters at his residence in Gombe

Former Gombe State governor and senator for the Gombe Central District, Muhammad Goje, has denied reports that he has defected from the All Progressives Congress (APC) to the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

The former governor said he remained a bona fide member of the APC despite growing speculation about his political future.

“I am still consulting on what to do next,” he said.

The clarification came amid reports that Goje was considering leaving the APC after failing to secure the party’s ticket for reelection.

At the APC primary, Mohammed Ahmadu, a retired police officer, emerged as the party’s candidate, triggering speculation about Goje’s next political move.

The speculation was further fuelled by a video circulating on social media showing Goje with the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, and former Gombe State governor and serving senator, Ibrahim Dankwambo, a prominent PDP figure in the state.

Goje, however, said no decision had been made on his leaving the APC, explaining that he was still consulting to determine his political future.

He recalled that he had previously announced his intention to withdraw from elective politics but was persuaded by his supporters to recontest for the Senate.

“Over seven years ago, three months after the present administration came into office in Gombe, I told you at Pantami Stadium that I would not contest any political position again,” he said.

“But you prevailed on me to contest for the Senate. You bought the form for me and told me not to come for the campaign because you would campaign for me.”

Goje expressed appreciation to his supporters for their loyalty, recalling that they campaigned for him and helped secure his victory.

“We won even when I did not come out to campaign during the electioneering period. I remain grateful to you for your loyalty and for believing in me,” he said.

As part of his engagement with his supporters, he announced ₦45 million for distribution among them.

Reflecting on his political career, Goje said he had spent more than 45 years in politics and contested eight elections, winning all.

“I have held many positions in this country, and not many people have had the kind of privilege I have had,” he said.

He urged his supporters to remain calm and loyal to the leadership of their movement while he continues consultations on his political future.

“Continue to remain loyal to the leadership in our movement and await the outcome of my consultations,” Goje told the gathering.