Top Stories

“Labour Party Petitions IGP, SSS Over Alleged Illegal Nomination Forms By Julius Abure” — Shifts All Primaries To May 30

The Labour Party has petitioned the Inspector-General of Police and the Department of State Services over the alleged illegal distribution of nomination forms by former national chairman of the party, Julius Abure.

The party’s National Chairman, Senator Nenadi Usman, disclosed this on Thursday in Abuja while speaking with journalists on the sidelines of the party’s screening of aspirants for its primaries.

Usman said copies of the petitions written to the police and the DSS had also been forwarded to the Independent National Electoral Commission.

She described the alleged circulation of the forms as unlawful, insisting that the leadership elected at the party’s Umuahia national convention remained the recognised leadership of the Labour Party.

“We received the news surprisingly. It was a big surprise because after the court said his tenure was over, we went to Umuahia, held a national convention, and elected new leaders,” she said.

“INEC was there and recognised what we did. The names on INEC’s website are those voted for in Umuahia, and then he comes and starts distributing forms.”

Asked whether the party had been served with any notice of appeal regarding Abure’s alleged move to the Supreme Court, Usman said the party had not received any such notice.

She maintained that the Supreme Court would likely uphold its earlier position on the party’s leadership dispute.

“My take is that the Supreme Court will maintain its stand. If a court says my tenure is over tomorrow, I cannot go back to say it is not over,” she said.

Usman alleged that some aspirants had already been misled into purchasing unauthorised forms.

“One man came here to tell me his wife was contesting, and when I looked at the form, it was not the form we issued. They are deceiving people, and it is not right at all,” she said.

Speaking on preparations for the 2027 elections, the Labour Party chairman expressed confidence in the strength of the party, citing the number of aspirants who had shown interest in contesting on its platform.

“Judging from the number of people indicating interest to use the party as a platform to contest the election, I think the party is still strong,” she said.

She disclosed that three aspirants had so far purchased presidential nomination forms.

Usman, however, reiterated the party’s decision to zone its 2027 presidential ticket to the South.

“We have decided that our next candidate or flag bearer should come from the South. Anybody from the North who wants to buy forms should not even bother,” she said.

She added that the party was considering a consensus arrangement but assured Nigerians that the screening and primaries would be transparent.

“We are hoping for consensus, but we are going to screen really well because to lead this great country, we need the best. Whoever emerges after the screening and primaries, I assure you it will be free and fair,” she said.

Usman also expressed confidence that Nigerians would choose credible leaders in the 2027 general elections.

“I am not afraid because I know power belongs to God, and Nigerians will come out to choose who they want to lead them,” she said.

Meanwhile, the Labour Party has rescheduled all its primary elections to May 30, 2026.

In a statement issued on Thursday by its National Publicity Secretary, Ken Asogwa, the party said the governorship and state assembly primaries earlier scheduled for May 27 had been moved.

The party said presidential, governorship, senatorial, House of Representatives and state House of Assembly primaries would now hold simultaneously on Saturday, May 30, 2026.

“Consequently, all primaries for the offices of president, governor, senate, House of Representatives, and state Houses of Assembly will now hold simultaneously on Saturday, 30th May 2026,” the statement read.

The party explained that the adjustment became necessary because the earlier dates coincided with the 2026 Eid-el-Kabir celebration and the third anniversary of the inauguration of elected public office holders.

“In consideration of the spiritual significance of the Sallah celebration and the national importance of the 29th May anniversary, the Labour Party, as a people-oriented and responsive political party, deemed it appropriate to adjust its schedule in order to enable members, aspirants, supporters, and Nigerians generally to fully observe these important occasions,” it added.

The party apologised to aspirants, stakeholders, supporters and members of the public for any inconvenience caused by the change in schedule.