Special Reports

Man freed from prison after govt withdraws Facebook ‘nude’ post complaint

Denis Odama, arrested over an alleged Facebook comment asking Cross River Governor Bassey Otu if a female commissioner had his nude, has been freed after the governor ordered the complaint withdrawn, leaving questions about the police investigation and allegations against others named in the petition.

Denis Odama, the Cross River man arrested after allegedly asking Governor Bassey Otu on Facebook whether a female commissioner had his nude, has been released from a correctional facility in Calabar following the withdrawal of the complaint against him and the subsequent termination of the case.

“They thought they were arresting Denis Odama. They didn’t know they were arresting the son of grace. Thank you, Cross River. You stood with me and I will always stand with you,” he wrote.

He also made another post stating, “Injustice does not have a leg. It doesn’t stand. Thank you Cross River.”

His release followed an intervention by Mr Otu, who directed his aides who reported Mr Odama to the police to withdraw their complaint.

The development brings to an end a case that began with a social media comment allegedly directed at the governor but subsequently expanded into a police petition accusing Mr Odama and three other people of cyberbullying, defamation and incitement against the Cross River government.

On 27 July, Governor Otu published a post on his Facebook page announcing the swearing-in of two new commissioners and a reshuffle of some members of the state executive council.

Screenshots circulating online purportedly show Mr Odama commenting under ..: “That woman in the ministry of sport, does she have your nude? Why not replace her with someone that can revive sporting administration in the state.”

PREMIUM TIMES reviewed the governor’s Facebook page on Thursday but could not independently find the comment in the original publication.

The alleged comment, however, became central to a petition submitted to the police on 5 August by lawyers representing two officials of the Cross River State Government.

The petition, seen by PREMIUM TIMES, was filed on behalf of the Special Adviser to the Governor on General Duties, Ekpenyong Akiba, and Commissioner for Works, Pius Ankpo.

The lawyers described their clients as “agents/representatives of the government of Cross River State”.

They complained against Mr Odama, Ochi Anthony, Mboutidem Isaac Tevest, Kelvin Chika, and others.

The petition alleged that the named individuals were “self-acclaimed content creators” who were engaged in cyberbullying government officials, defaming public office holders and inciting the public against the state government.

It alleged that the suspects had published “infamous, grossly offensive, false, annoying and injurious statements” against the government on Facebook.

The petition further accused them of portraying the Cross River government as “useless, clueless and incompetent” and of making videos allegedly vilifying Mr Otu and his wife, Eyoanwa Otu.

The petition asked the police to investigate the allegations and arrest the suspects, their alleged sponsors, informants and anyone connected to the alleged offences.

The petition cited sections 50 and 51 of the Criminal Code Act.

Mr Odama was subsequently arrested in Lagos and transferred to Cross River.

Reports said he was initially detained at the FESTAC Police Division in Lagos before being taken to Calabar. A Magistrate Court in Calabar later remanded him at the Afokang Correctional Centre, Calabar.

A report published on Wednesday said the court further remanded Mr Odama after denying him bail, with the prosecutor yet to file the substantive case before the court.

The case took a new turn after Mr Otu said he had been briefed about Mr Odama’s arrest.

In a statement posted on his Facebook page on Wednesday, the governor said Mr Odama had been reported to the police by some of his aides over “a derogatory and insidious statement” made against him.

Mr Otu said that, as a “father and leader”, he had directed the aides to withdraw their complaint.

He also directed the Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice to review the matter and take steps to discontinue the case so that Mr Odama could be released and reunited with his family.

The governor invoked Section 39 of the Nigerian Constitution, which guarantees freedom of expression.

“I remain committed to upholding this right for all Cross Riverians, including those who criticise me,” Mr Otu said.

He, however, called on young people to exercise the freedom responsibly and with regard for the cultural and moral values of the state.

PREMIUM TIMES had reported that in neighbouring Akwa Ibom State, a woman, Godsown Udoito has been at the correctional centre for over seven months now standing trial following allegations of online comments against Akwa Ibom Governor, Umo Eno and his family.

The circumstances surrounding Mr Odama’s arrest prompted questions about the police investigation, particularly because the petition named other individuals in addition to him.