Politics

‘El-Rufai Was Fed Multiple Times’ – ICPC Denies Treating Ex-Governor Harshly in Detention

The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) has dismissed allegations that former Kaduna State governor, Nasir El-Rufai, was subjected to harsh treatment while in detention.

The anti-graft agency reacted after claims surfaced online that El-Rufai was denied food, medical attention and access to family members during his stay in custody.

The allegations were raised by Mohammed Bello, son of the former governor, who accused the commission of violating a court order that reportedly granted unrestricted access to El-Rufai’s doctor and relatives.

Bello, in a statement shared on social media, alleged that officials of the commission prevented El-Rufai’s physician from seeing him on May 15, 2026. According to him, the doctor arrived at the ICPC facility around 3 p.m. to discuss medical test results but was allegedly denied entry.

He further claimed that the officers insisted on obtaining clearance from the ICPC chairman before allowing the doctor access to the former governor.

The lawmaker also alleged that El-Rufai’s wife, Aichatou, was stopped from delivering food to her husband later that evening despite allegedly providing meals for him since the beginning of his detention.

“On this day, May 15, 2026, we observed two distinct yet equally grave infringements on his fundamental rights,” Bello said.

However, the ICPC denied the allegations and described the claims as misleading.

In a statement issued by the commission, the agency insisted that El-Rufai was neither denied food nor medical care while in custody.

The commission explained that its access control policy allows visitors into its premises only between 9:00 a.m. and 6:30 p.m., adding that the rule applies to all detainees and visitors.

According to the ICPC, El-Rufai’s family members had complied with the protocol before the incident in question.

The commission stated that on the same day the allegation was made, one of El-Rufai’s wives and a housemaid visited the facility several times with food between 10:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m.

It added that the visits were properly documented in the facility’s visitor register.

“The woman in the video herself acknowledged that she arrived at 7:00 pm, thirty minutes after the close of the official access window,” the commission stated.

The anti-graft agency also noted that the same woman admitted she had earlier delivered breakfast and lunch to her husband, contradicting claims that he was denied food.

On the issue of medical access, the ICPC said it only requested proper identification and routine verification before allowing the medical personnel entry.

The commission maintained that the measure was part of its standard security procedures and not an attempt to block medical attention.

It also disclosed that El-Rufai had recently been granted permission to visit both his dentist and ophthalmologist under official supervision.

According to the agency, the former governor also has access to the commission’s internal medical team whenever necessary.

The ICPC stressed that El-Rufai’s status as a former minister, former Director-General of a federal agency and ex-governor makes security around him more sensitive.

The commission added that it would not relax its security procedures for any detainee, regardless of political status.

It also accused some individuals of attempting to create public drama around the matter in order to pressure the institution into bypassing established procedures.

The commission insisted that it remains committed to lawful operations and international best practices in handling suspects and detainees.