Several former ministers who left President Bola Tinubu’s cabinet to contest in the All Progressives Congress primaries ahead of the 2027 elections are now facing uncertain political futures after failing to secure party tickets.
The resignations followed a presidential directive asking political appointees interested in elective offices to step down from their positions.
However, what initially appeared to be a calculated political move has ended in disappointment for some of the former cabinet members, many of whom lost both their ministerial seats and the APC tickets they were seeking.
Out of the five ministers who resigned, only two have so far secured the party’s nomination, while others either lost at the primaries, withdrew from the process, or rejected the outcome of the exercise.
The former ministers who resigned include Yusuf Tuggar, Adebayo Adelabu, Saidu Alkali, Nkeiruka Onyejeocha and Yusuf Sununu.
ADEBAYO ADELABU
Former Minister of Power, Adebayo Adelabu, resigned to pursue the APC governorship ticket in Oyo State, but his ambition suffered a major setback during the primary election.
Adelabu was defeated by Senator Sarafadeen Alli, who secured 578,143 votes, while the former minister polled 19,193 votes.
Before the primary, Adelabu had dismissed claims that President Tinubu had endorsed another aspirant, insisting that such claims were false.
He said he delayed his resignation from the cabinet in order to meet with the President, adding that Tinubu encouraged him to proceed with his governorship ambition.
According to Adelabu, the President told him that his long-standing ambition should not be stopped and advised him to resign and begin work.
After losing the primary, Adelabu rejected the result, alleging irregularities, intimidation and manipulation during the exercise.
YUSUF TUGGAR

Former Minister of Foreign Affairs, Ambassador Yusuf Maitama Tuggar, resigned from office on March 30, 2026, in compliance with President Tinubu’s directive.
Announcing his resignation, Tuggar said he had formally submitted his letter through the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, describing the move as the end of an important chapter in his public service career.
He also thanked the President for the opportunity to serve under the Renewed Hope Agenda and for allowing him to contribute to Nigeria’s foreign policy through the 4D Doctrine.
Tuggar, a former House of Representatives member for Gamawa Federal Constituency, had earlier served as Nigeria’s Ambassador to Germany from 2017 to 2023.
However, his bid to secure the APC governorship ticket in Bauchi State failed after he lost to former governor Mohammed Abubakar.
According to the Chairman of the APC governorship election committee in Bauchi, AIG John Bassey Abang (rtd), Abubakar polled 57,517 votes, while Tuggar came second with 26,001 votes.
SAIDU ALKALI

Former Minister of Transportation, Saidu Alkali, also left the cabinet to contest for the APC governorship ticket in Gombe State.
His ambition, however, did not go as planned, as he lost the primary to Jamilu Gwamna, who was backed by Governor Inuwa Yahaya.
Alkali later boycotted the process, citing lack of fairness and credibility. Despite his withdrawal, votes were still recorded in his name because his withdrawal letter was submitted after voting had already commenced and his name remained on the ballot.
At the end of the exercise, former Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Professor Isa Ali Ibrahim Pantami, came second with 12,120 votes, while Alkali finished third with 11,612 votes.

